Sunday, May 27, 2012

Week 7, and Week 5 Winner!!!

Hello All! Well, I finally selected a winner for our week five random draw. Congratulations Becca -- $25 for the store of your choosing, just let me know where that is and I'll make it happen. And my apologies to all the challengers for being so delayed. This week has been a doozie for me! Good thing I've been focusing on feeling grateful. I've loved reading all your comments this last week. For this week's post, we'll be sharing wise words. Share your favorite inspiring quote from a person you admire. For this week's wildcard, we'll be trying to gain wisdom of our own, so we'll spend a minimum of five minutes in quiet prayer/meditation/contemplation. In order to get the point, find a place where you can be quiet and on your own (I know, this will be tricky, be we can do hard things, right?) If free-form meditation isn't your thing, pick a scripture or hymn to memorize and then ponder that. Have a wonderful week everyone. We're pulling in to the home stretch!! Hugs, Lisa

11 comments:

  1. This quote had long been my mantra as a woman, and now that I am raising 5 daughters, my mantra as a parent as well:

    "Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."

    --Margaret D. Nadauld (Young Women General President 1997-2002)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bit of wisdom has helped me the most in my life. It's from the Doctrine and Covenants, and is always pertinent.

    "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." (D&C 101:16)

    With a house full of little boys, NOTHING is EVER still; but I can't help but notice that things are typically MORE STILL when we're involved in activities that invite the Spirit (reading scriptures aloud, listening to primary songs/hymns, watching scripture based DVDs, etc.).

    Also, it's a good reminder for me-to remember to slow down for a few minutes and to actually be still- not to worry, or fret, about things beyond my control, and to trust in the Lord's hand in my life and in the lives of my family. I can specifically think of instances from every big thing in my life (good and bad) when I've needed the influence of the Spirit...and every time I've had to be still and exercise faith-trusting that I'm truly in the Lord's hand, to receive the guidance and answers I was looking for.
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not great with quotes but here's one I read recently. My 15 year old son had to write and illustrate a children's book in his freshman english class. I got to help color the illustrations. The moral of his book was "just be yourself, because everyone else is already taken." I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this quote hanging in my scrapbook room:
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite quotes is from "The Proclamation to the Family."
    "Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ." A lot of answers to family decisions and struggles can be solved using this as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awhile back I was going through a challenge. My sweet grandma gave me a frame with this quote in it: "With God behind us and His arms beneath us we can face whatever lies before us". Unknown author. I have kept this displayed to always give me this reminder- Love it!
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Heather C.:
    “Too bad ignorance isn’t painful”
    Author is unknown

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Lisa C.:

    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
    -- Marianne Williamson

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1 Nephi 3:7

    "...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which He commandeth them."

    Its the Primary scripture for the month and it's always been one of my favorites. It reminds me of the Nike slogan "Just do it.". Sort of gives me a little boost of motivation.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two favorites:

    1) A favorite since my mission, "Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds." - President Gordon B. Hinckley

    2) My support at this time last year, and my current daily reminder in raising my children, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." - Alma 37:6

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I am so excited to have won the drawing last week! Thank you!! A favorite store (a.k.a. vice) of mine where I have a hard time justifying spending money is Hot Mama at Park Meadows. However, with a gift card there, I will have a good reason to go in again. :) How fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete