Sunday, May 13, 2012

Week Five

Hello all, and Happy Mother's Day to you! I'll do the drawing for the gift certificate tomorrow morning (just to give everyone a chance to post until midnight, when I will be asleep!!) For this week's wildcard, we'll be doing my favorite wildcard of all challenges, ever. Find a spot in your house that needs to be organized, and get it shaped up. Could be a big project like the closet or the garage, or if you're pressed for time the glovebox in your car, or your wallet or purse. For our discussion, tell us your top five books that you've loved to read. Could be anything: non-fiction, fiction, cookbooks . . . whatever you like to read! We'll do a random draw for everyone who posts this week again, this time for a $25 gift certificate of your choice. Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Lisa

17 comments:

  1. Books...I read quite a variety, so here's my 5

    Blindness by Jose Saramago
    The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
    The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
    The Giver and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

    can't stop at 5...
    Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Time Machine by HG Wells

    I'll stop ;-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be hard to list just 5. These rank among my very favorite.
    The Hiding Place-Corrie Ten Boom
    These is my Words-Nacy E. Turner
    Pope Joan-Donna Woolfolk Cross
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan-Lisa See
    Moloka'i-Alan Brennert
    Hunger Games Series-Suzanne Collins
    I can't wait to see what everyone lists so that I can get new ideas.
    Happy reading! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
    Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling
    Happiness Projuect - Gretchen Rubin
    I love Romance novels and Nora Roberts is about the best. So any book by her is a great summer read!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Disappearing Spoon ~ Sam Kean (non-ficton)
    The Narnia series ~ C.S. Lewis
    The Amelia Peabody series ~ Elizabeth Peters (historical fiction)
    Goldy Catering Series ~ Diane Mott Davidson (mystery)
    At Home ~ Bill Bryson (non-fiction)

    And because I have little boys whom I read to all the time, some "kid" books as well...
    Splat the Cat books ~ Rob Scotton
    Skippyjon Jones ~ Judy Schachner
    Chicken Cheeks ~ Michael Ian Black
    Hieronymus Betts and His Unusual Pets ~ M P Robertson

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Goose Girl- Shannon Hale
    A Thousand Splendid Suns -Khaled Hosseini
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Mary Ann Shafer
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan -Lisa See
    Love Walked In -Marisa de los Santos
    If you give a Mouse a Cookie (had to add this one! LOVE children's books!)
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some recent and not-so-recent favorites:
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
    The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
    The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom
    My Life in France - Julia Child (I like most autobiographies)
    There are more, but I will stop with 5!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here are a handful of my favorite books. I've read most of these about a half a dozen times or more which makes them favorites for sure!
    1. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) All time favorite forever.
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird
    3. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell0
    4. The Secret Garden (Francis Burnett)
    5. The Little House series
    6. Harry Potter series
    7. Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
    8. The Great Gatsby (f. Scott Fitzgerald0
    9. A Little Princess
    10. The Great Brain series (Do any of you remember these?)
    A few favorite recent books (not in order of preference)I'm sure I've left off more than a couple :
    1. The Help
    2. My life in France
    3. The Hunger Games
    4. The Glass Castle
    5. Notes from a Small Island
    6. East Of Eden
    7. In the Woods
    8. Outliers
    9. Atlas Shrugged
    10. Anything by Elizabeth Gaskell
    11. The Count of Monte Christo

    I also love mysteries, particularly ones set in Britain (I am such an anglophile!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So do I get extra credit for writing an extra long post? :) I kind of got carried away. I love to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Harry Potter series
    2. Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.
    3. Angels and Demons.
    4. Percy Jackson and the Olympian series
    5. Nancy Drew. Have to give her credit. She got me reading when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Heather C.:

    I am not a huge reader, mostly because I don’t have the time and I fall asleep when I sit that long to read! So, here are a couple I just finished and a couple that off the top of my head are favorites of mine J
    1. I just finished a book called what your teenage son won’t tell you but wants you to know – good Christian based book on teenage boy issues.
    2. 5 love languages
    3. Love the If you Give a Mouse Book series (with my boys)
    4. Froggy books (with my boys)
    5. Bear wants more series (with my boys)
    What can I say…..I am still in the phase of teaching readers! That’s where most of my books are read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Angela R.:
    1. Les Miserables--Victor Hugo
    2. At Home--Bill Bryson
    3. The Hiding Place--Corrie Ten Boom
    4. I am a Mother--Jane Clayson Johnson
    5. 1776 or John Adams by David McCullough
    6. Unbroken--Laura Hillenbrand

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Lisa C.:

    I love to read so, so much. Here's my list:

    1. A Wrinkle in Time -- Madeline L'Engle
    2. The Kite Runner -- Khaled Hosseini
    3. To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
    4. The Great Gatsby -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
    5. Lake Woebegone Days -- Garrison Keillor
    6. The Handmaid's Tale -- Margaret Atwood

    I know that's six, but I just simply could not narrow it down further. I also LOVE anything by Barbara Kingsolver. She is a favorite and I was inspired by "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle".

    Looks like there's some good new material for me to dig into here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well to be completely honest my daughter Lexi should be writing this post for me. She is an amazing reader just like all of you fabulous ladies. Me not so much. However some may be surprised that I have read enough books to make a list of 5 here they are:

    1. The Penderwicks
    2. Anne of Green Gables
    3. Fire of the Covenant
    4. Eve and The choice made in the Garden of Eden
    5. Return to Virture

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish that I was more of a reader than I am. With four children ages five and under, the majority of my reading consists of children's books, parenting books, and scriptures. I need to read more for fun. I do have a few I can list here.

    1. Les Miserables
    2. The Potato Peel Pie Literary society
    3. The Little Prince
    4. Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child :)
    5. Karen Katz children's books

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew I was forgetting to do something before I went to bed last night!

    1. the Help
    2. Narnia series
    3. The Kitchen Counter Cooking School
    4. Atlas Shrugged
    5. Louis La'Mour western books (I'm such a sucker for these)

    Emily

    ReplyDelete