Sunday, May 6, 2012

Week Four

Hoohah everyone! We're in week four -- halfway there. Hope you're all enjoying yourselves. This week, we're tracking our spending. For this week's blog discussion, tell us how you save money -- do you use coupons, buy in bulk, team up with friends? Let's hear your ideas. Everyone who posts this week will be eligible to win a $50 gift card to the store of their choosing, so be SURE to post this week. Hugs, Lisa

18 comments:

  1. Lists! It's all about lists. I have running lists for Costco, the grocery store and Target (the only places I ever shop...). I always keep the list in my purse so I have it when I need it, and I only buy what is on my list (I'm not an impulsive buyer, so that helps). Because I only buy what's on my list, I only buy what I need. Saves me tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have running lists all the time, as well. I wish that I was a diligent at Karsen at never deviating from the list, but I am pretty good. I definitely buy in bulk and look for deals from mailings, coupons, and searching on the internet, (I love the internet for finding great savings). I'd love to say that I have great couponing skills, but I don't dedicate the time to it. However, if I find one for something I normally buy I hold on to it and use it. I would love to know some of everyone else's helpful hints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Heather C.:
    I am a bargain shopper. If I am wanting to do something in the house, I will keep my eyes open while I am out and about and when I see it at a good price, I will buy it. I rarely pay full price for things. I am a ‘couponer’ for groceries, etc. I don’t want to leave $40 on the table, if I can save it, especially if I was already going to be buying it! Right? I also have done something with my boys for years (some of you will think this is gross, I am sure) but for years I have had my boys pee when they brush their teeth, and the last one to ‘go’ flushes. I don’t think we need to waste 10 gallons of water for a little boy to ‘go’ for 5 seconds. I also do laundry one day a week. I don’t do mini loads or extra loads of laundry. If it’s dirty, you’ll have to wait until laundry day to get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE to find a good deal- clearance, yard sales, internet. I also save coupons. I should do more with coupons but haven't. I buy bulk and freeze a lot of meat/fruits/veggies. My husband is a penny pincher, which helps remind me to do the same. It's definitely a work in progress, and I'll be happy to see more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the last 15 years, I have logged every single receipt into Quicken. But it doesn't really help me save money unless I use it to track my spending trends. I'm not big on coupons but I do wait for a great deal. I waited to buy my Dyson on black friday cuz they hadn't been on sale in awhile. I separate my needs from my wants and then I prioritize. For example, I pay for a tennis lesson each week because it's important to me, but I won't pay to have texting or data on my phone. One way I save money is by not going into stores. I only go to the mall about once a year. I try not to take my kids to the store with me either. Yesterday my 15 yr old had to go to Sam's with me and we came home with Snickers ice cream bars. (But they made me happy after a long day.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is right up my alley this year! At the end of last year we had taken 6 trips in the previous 14 months. We were looking at our finances and were surprised how much our savings had taken a hit. I have always made a budget, but never followed it. But in January, I made a budget and I have been (if you ask my kids) a crazy person about it! I also went back to work part time working at Izod at the Outlet mall in Castle Rock. I have a savings goal for the year and we have been working very hard. I have still had a problem staying under my grocery budget, so this month I am doing a special challenge. I am not to spend more than $25 a week. Mind you my family is not starving. I have a full pantry and freezer. This is to see if I can buy just what we need and no more. It has been very difficult. My oldest daughter is saying she is going to buy potato chips with her own money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to do several smaller things to save money: I keep running shopping lists on my computer (with printed copies in my car) and try to stick to them; I wait for sales and/or price check several different stores for larger items. I also shop in bulk and freeze / store extras. I plan (at least i TRY to plan) meals in advance and group recipes with like ingredients, or plan meals with "roll-over" ingredients in mind so as not to waste foods we might not normally use up quickly. I also find I save a LOT of money if I don't go shopping (I know, that sounds flippantly obvious), but what I mean is I save up errands for one larger shopping trip and not run to target every time I need something. The biggest money saver for me is NOT to take my kids with me when I shop...somehow they always increase that final total!
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  8. The biggest thing I do is just stay out of the stores. The second thing is to exercise gratitude for what I already have.
    I have become a big minimalist in regards to my children's clothing. I have recently chosen to buy them about 5 good quality outfits and no more. I make sure everything they have goes together and that I am ok with them wearing anything in their drawers. When they get a tshirt from a birthday party or soccer if they want to keep it that shirt can become for pajamas. (hard core, I know right?) When something becomes ripped or stained beyond repair out the door it goes or I cut it up and make it into paint rags or something of that nature.
    For groceries I keep out a list of things I want to make and plan the menu for two weeks. If I am going to buy a head of cabbage for a recipe then I look for a recipe to use another night the will use up the other half of the head of cabbage. I HATE WASTE. If we ever have leftover salad at dinner or fruit that is going a bit mushy I slice it and freeze it for breakfast smoothies. I try to not waste any foot at all and to stretching things out as far as they can go.
    The farmers market is a great way to save money in the summer on produce. I go to sprouts on wednesdays so I get the sale prices for each week and then I make sure I only go to Costco once every 6 -8 weeks for big basics. It works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At one time we budgeted very strictly, tried a few weeks with cash only, $200 per week for ALL spending that wasn't a recurring bill (Food, gas, misc.) It was actually quite fun to play the "game" and see if I could stick with it. Currently, we don't do so well on tracking, but one thing is I simply don't go shopping. I keep running lists for grocery as well, and simply stick to it. Actually taking my kids with me helps on this because my main goal is to get what's on the list and GET OUT! They get their free cookie at King Soopers and I don't get much whining for other things.

    I don't work outside the home, so I don't indulge in a "nicer" business casual type portion of my wardrobe. It's typically Sunday best or strictly casual for me. We also buy in bulk at Sam's for what is truly a better price. And, we make all our bread from scratch and have for many years which comes out to about .79 a loaf from our figuring at one point - helps a little.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I plan a budget every year. I track every receipt in quicken so that we can track where the money goes. We also have money directly deposited into savings every payday. I am always surprised at how fast it adds up. I shop with lists, buy in bulk, plan meals and use coupons when I can. I am always on the lookout for a deal because I hate to pay full price for anything.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right now we are looking into getting a solar system installed at our house. From the information we have found, we can save about $100 per month on our electric bill with no up front costs. That will add up very quickly! We have also installed some tinting on select windows in our house to cut down on the heat from the sun that comes through. It is an inexpensive solution to hot rooms and will cut down on our AC this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I do anything special. I always shop the grocery ads but I'm not really into coupons. It seems like coupons are mostly for processed foods anyway. We drive reliable but used cars. I chose not to keep track of my finances this week because I always feel a twinge of guilt and worry every time I buy something. When I grew up, we didn't have a lot of money. I'm not comfortable with the financial blessings that we enjoy now. I'd love to feel grateful without feeling guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've learned that the best way to track my spending is to not go anywhere and thus is the best way to save money. However we all know that this is kind of impossible. However it is worth a noble effort!! I get pure satisfaction knowing that I've gone a whole day with out buying a thing. I joke with my accountant husband all the time that my job is "to save him money" I'm not sure he believes me. The fact is everyone spends their money differently and thats ok. I think for most of us mothers we spend most of our time and our energy and our money buying groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so fun to read everyone's ideas -- I'll be stealing a few. My best strategy for saving money is a menu plan. That way I buy food that I know will get used and can take advantage of things on special. It's not much, but I hate to waste food, and I like to feed my kids good meals so it sort of kills two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so fun to read everyone's ideas -- I'll be stealing a few. My best strategy for saving money is a menu plan. That way I buy food that I know will get used and can take advantage of things on special. It's not much, but I hate to waste food, and I like to feed my kids good meals so it sort of kills two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Sherry S.:
    The ways I save are about the same as others. I am not into grocery store coupons though. They don't work for me. I saw someone ahead of me, with all these coupons and I was really impressed, but he was buying all regular priced items and none that I would actually buy.. but before I go out to eat anywhere or shop at certain stores, I always check online for coupons...either on the stores website or another. I usually find them and I get free meals or appetizers all the time. Date night! Also a lot of restaurants have happy hour and I will take the whole family to somewhere like Grand lux. They have huge appetizers for $5 and we get a few to feed us all. Yummy and cheap. I also save a lot of money by shopping clearance and sales...I am one to head right to the back sale rack and look for good stuff. I also love consignment stores for clothes and furniture, but haven't found many good ones here yet. In NJ, people would leave unwanted furniture on the side of the road... I found some awesome things. And have a lot of pieces I fixed up. Craig’s list also :) And of course Garage sales...I have found so many good things... last purchase.. Awesome condition full size basketball hoop currently in driveway... for $30. I talked them down from $50 of course. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Angela R.:
    Week 4: Financial Advice

    1. Take time to think over major purchases--no impulse buys.
    2. Stick to a budget
    3. I just don't go shopping--I always shop with a purpose with a list.
    4. Pay yourself and invest it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly what I have needed this week, I need to get back to my better budgeting habits. What really help us is to menu plan and pay with cash. I keep track of the cash I spend for groceries or whatever and it helps me to decide if the thing I am buying is a need or want. Also, the leftover cash I have for the month goes into my whatever fund and I can buy myself or the kids or the house, whatever my heart desires and it does not come out of our monthly budget.

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete